Introduction to Medical Affairs and Pharmaceutical Medicine
The Medical University of Vienna runs this course in cooperation with GPMed.
This online course will be run in two parts:
Part 1: 07.-11. March 2022
Part 2: 25.-29. April 2022
Comprehensive overview and insights on one of the central roles in the pharmaceutical industry
Medical Affairs as a major player in the pharmaceutical industry
Course description Medical Affairs is an independent function in a pharmaceutical company that closely cooperates with other functional areas. The main responsibilities of Medical Affairs include Medical Information & Communication, Training & Education, Establishing of Networks with Healthcare Professionals, Medical Planning & Operations, Interventional & Non-Interventional Trials, Gathering of Insights and many more. The aim of this course is to provide a comprehensive picture of Medical Affairs in the context of pharmaceutical industry while reflecting all current national and international regulations and guidelines. It provides insights into the role of Medical Affairs in drug development and the cooperation with Marketing & Sales, Regulatory & Pharmacovigilance as well as with academic institutions. Students will get an understanding of the international pharmaceutical market and of the importance of internal and external communication and team- and networking on national and international level. The course provides details on different job profiles and practical tasks in Medical Affairs and furthermore on collaboration with healthcare professionals and other stakeholders.
- academic & non-academic employees in the pharmaceutical industry
- job applicants for the pharmaceutical industry
- physicians and other professions interested in the perspective of the pharmaceutical industry
Information on the course
- This part-time blended learning program allows professionals to remain on their job and to integrate the training with professional activities. It is structured in 2 parts of blocked workshops. Workshops are offered online through engaging webinars.
- Language: All courses are held in English
- Duration: 125 hours/5 ECTS
- Certificate: Basic „Introduction to Medical Affairs and Pharmaceutical Medicine“ certificate after successful completion of Part 1. Advanced certificate after completion of Part 2.
- Tuition: fee Euro 1.600,- per part. Euro 3.200,- in total. 10 % discount for Medical University Alumni Club members and members of the GPMed („Gesellschaft für Pharmazeutische Medizin“) at the time of application.
- Start: Yearly
- Application: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Online Course will be held in the late afternoon of in total 8 days and additional self-study
Part 1 (2.5 ECTS)
II: Introduction to drug Research & Development
III: Laws, guidelines & compliance
IV: Regulatory Affairs
V: Role profiles in Medical Affairs
VI: Project management & Medical Affairs plan
VII: Homework to create Medical Affairs plan
VIII: Individual assessment of Medical Affairs plan
Part 2 (2.5 ECTS)
I X: Drug safety & pharmacovigilance
X: Ethics, compliance & patient involvement
XI: Medical Affairs in healthcare system
XII: Presentation of Medical Affairs plan
XIII: Homework to further develop Medical Affairs plan
XIV: Individual assessment of Medical Affairs plan
For more information on Clinical Research @ Medical University of Vienna please visit: